General Information

Most found property does NOT need to be passed to the Police. Items can be handed to the premises owner or public transport operator where they were found.

Items found containing personal data should be reported to the issuing authority, if you are unable to do this and you hand this into the Police, we will forward this onto them for you. This will not be retained by the Police.

There are certain items that members of the public are not allowed to retain and claim under any circumstances. These include: drugs, firearms, weapons, ammunition, non UK passports, high value items, laptops and cameras, mobile phones, unidentifiable substances or other items that may pose a danger or harm to others.

Please hand any of the above into a Police Station in order that we can trace the owner or otherwise deal with them safely.

Do not attempt to handle any hazardous/dangerous items you find. Please inform us straightaway.

If the property found is not identifiable and is none of the above, please make contact with your local Police Station or dial 101 and a record of the item will be made.

If you find a stray dog and it has no address tag or telephone number on its collar, please contact your Local Authority. You can also find information on the Local Authority websites, including who to contact and what to do out of office hours.

The Police no longer have responsibility for stray dogs and only need to be informed if a stray animal is on the public highway. Only contact the Police if the dog is dangerous or a banned breed.

Please reduce the chance of your dog becoming lost by following the guidance below:-

  • Ensure your dog can be identified with your name and address/telephone number on a collar and tag
  • Make sure your dog is microchipped with the details of ownership and ensure this information is up to date
  • Keep your dog under your control when exercising it
  • Check your property to make sure your dog cannot escape. Repair fences and close/lock gates

Found UK passports should be returned to the issuing authority.

Found non-UK passports should be reported to the Police as soon as possible.

Birth, marriage and death certificates

The General Register Office ask that you destroy any birth, marriage or death certificates found in order to prevent fraudulent use.

Any other official documents

Any found documents should be reported to the relevant issuing authority.

If you find any prescription drugs or medicines please take them to the nearest pharmacy, who will dispose of them safely.

If you find needles in the street, your Local Authority has a duty to remove these. Prior to contacting them, ensure that you do not touch the item, which includes placing them in a bin.

 Where to find information

OrganisationContact NumberWebsite
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council01874
Caerphilly County Borough Council01443 815588 or 01495
Monmouthshire County Council01633
Newport City Council01633
Torfaen County Borough Council01495

If you find a driving licence you should return it to DVLA. If you are unable to do this, this can be handed into Gwent Police who will forward it to them.

Follow the instructions on the back of the card found. If you are unable to do this, the card can be handed into Gwent Police who will forward it on to the relevant bank.

For unidentifiable low value property, such as empty handbags, bags, cases, wallets, purses, used clothing, perishable goods, umbrellas, spectacles, bicycles, clothing, keys etc; if you have made reasonable efforts to trace the owner and the property is still unidentified, then there is nothing more the Police can do and you should dispose of the property safely.

If you find cash in a shop, near a bank/cashpoint, pub or other premises then this should be handed in to the establishment where it was found.

Alternatively you should hand the cash in at your nearest Police Station.

We would actively encourage any member of the public who picks up money that has been dropped to be honest and do the right thing by taking all reasonable steps to try and find the owner.

For small amounts of cash eg. 5p, 10p etc. people are advised to use their discretion and may wish to donate their find to a charity box. In these circumstances reuniting the owner with such a small amount would be less likely.