Equality and Diversity
Welcome to Gwent Police's Equality and Diversity pages. Here you will find details of how Gwent Police intends to meet its duties under the Equality Act 2010, as well as our published Equality Information, and our Strategic Equality Plan.
Our General Equality Duty
In October 2010, the new Equality Act introduced a Public Sector General Equality Duty, which requires Gwent Police, in the exercise of both our internal and external functions, to have due regard to the need to...
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
What are Protected Characteristics?
Our Equality Duty applies to both Police personnel and members of our communities who share 'Protected Characteristics'. There are 9 Protected Characteristics under the Equality Act; Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage and Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex and Sexual Orientation.
You can find out more about the Equality Act 2010 here:
What is Gwent Police doing?
As part of our Equality Duty, Gwent Police:
- Have published a 4 year Strategic Equality Plan which includes key objectives around areas like employment, hate crime, stop and search and domestic abuse
- Publish an annual report on our Strategic Equality Plan which tells you how well we are doing and the progress we have made against our Equality Objectives
- Publish annual Equality Information relating to the protected characteristics of our employees and the protected characteristics of people affected by our policies and practices
- Continue to assess the impact of our proposed policies and practices against our General Equality Duty by using our Equality Impact Assessment process. EIAs are published alongside policies on our Policies and Procedures page of the website.
Our Published Information
Our Strategic Equality Plan (English and Welsh)
Sexual Orientation in the Workplace Information 2013
Operational Equality Information
Workplace Equality Information
Heather Powell, Community Cohesion Co-ordinator