Clare's Law - The Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme
Gwent Police today becomes one of only two UK forces (the other is Wiltshire) running a pilot scheme giving people the ability to find out if their partner, or potential partner, has a history of abuse or violence.
We've been talking to Nicola (not her real name) a 32 year old mother who lives in our force area, and who says if the law had been in place two years ago she would been able to find out that her abusive partner had a long history of violence towards women.
The scheme also allows others with concerns (e.g. family members, friends, neighbours etc.) to make an application if they have concerns about the welfare of another person.
If checks show that a person has a record of abusive behaviour, or there is other information to indicate that there may be a risk we will consider sharing this information with the person considered to be at risk.
The scheme aims to help people to make a more informed decision on whether to continue a relationship, and provides further help and support to assist people when making that choice.
Who can ask for a disclosure?
A disclosure under this Scheme is the sharing of specific information for the purposes of protecting you from domestic abuse.
- you can make an application about your partner if you have a concern that they may harm you;
- any concerned third party, such as your parent, neighbour or friend can also make an application if they have concerns about the welfare of another person;
- however, a third party person making an application would not receive the information. This would be disclosed to the person considered at risk, or a person that's in a position to protect the person considered to be at risk.
How do I make a request for information?
To make an application you must contact Gwent Police. You can do this by:
- Dialling 101
- Speaking to a police officer on the street
- Visiting a Police station
If you believe there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or it is an emergency, you should always call 999.
To find out more about how the scheme works, the safeguards in place etc. we've created a leaflet for those who are concerned about someone they know and also a leaflet for those who may be worried that their partner may have been abusive in the past.
To find out more about domestic abuse services and support available in Gwent visit our dedicated web-site: http://www.policingdomesticabuseingwent.org.uk