In a Non-Emergency & General Contact

If you don't need urgent assistance, or if you just have a general enquiry, you should dial 101 (our non-emergency number).

Calls to 101 cost 15 pence per call from landlines and mobiles - no matter how long you're on the phone.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impediment you can contact the Police using a text phone through Typetalk for non-emergency situations on 18001 101.

For general enquiries: 01633 838111

If you want to send us a letter by post, please write to:

Gwent Police Headquarters, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, NP44 2XJ

If you'd prefer to email us: [email protected]

Do I need to call the Police?

If you're not experiencing an emergency, our staff are trained to ensure you receive the most appropriate response to your incident or enquiry. It might be that another organisation or agency are better placed to provide help with your query.

Local Authority

Your Local Authority can help with a range of issues from on-going anti-social behaviour to dogs, littering/fly tipping to travel and parking issues.  

For more information, visit your Local Authority website

South Wales Fire & Rescue

If you see a fire, South Wales Fire and Rescue need to be contacted via 999, asking for the Fire Service. 

Citizen's Advice/Solicitors

If you are in dispute over the return of property, access to or the ownership of property, land or children, the best service for you is the Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizen's Advice Bureau provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.  If the situation requires a Police response, they will direct you to 101.